« Home | Without further ado, I'd like to announce this wee... » | I can't go on even short distance trips without kn... » | ****Update**** I contacted the Denise company, ... » | So I was looking through my site referrals, and sa... » | Go figure I'd finish my FCEK wrap top, and it woul... » | As promised, pictures! First, here are a few pi... » | Last night I pretty much finished the FCEK Katrina... » | All right. Somebody's cheating. I've gotten a fe... » | Shame on me, buying more yarn. I took a little st... » | Argh! What is up with me? Last week I lost my cr... » 

Thursday, July 31, 2003 

Last night was the first meeting for the Stitch & Bitch I set up. I had about 17 people show interest, 16 people say they'd be there (two of those were friends being brought by one of the original 16), and 7 people showed up. Not bad, if I say so myself. We had a good mix of people, and we had a blast chatting and knitting (and crocheting) over beers and food. I can't wait for the next meeting at the end of August.

And something that happened last night got me thinking. The manager of the restaurant we were meeting at came over to check in on us. As he was leaving he said "By the way, I wear a large, and my birthday is in January" implying that we should knit him a sweater. I know he was just joking, but some people aren't. What compels people to ask someone who knits or crochets to make them something? It's as if they think that it only takes a few hours to whip something up, and that yarn is as cheap as a stick of gum. Of course, they often don't offer to pay for the cost of the materials (though some people have the presence of mind to do so), and rarely offer to pay for your time. But I hardly think this plagues just knitters. Many people seem to expect "freebies" from people they know who work in certain fields, or do certain hobbies/tasks (i.e. people who do taxes, people who work in cosmetics, or for a promotional company, artists, waiters, etc.) And of course, you always get people who you barely know that ask for these things too -- the kind of people you're least likely to do those things for. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy making things for other people. I just hate being put in the awkward position of having someone ask me to make them something, and not offer anything in return, especially if I'm not that close to them, or I know I don't have the time. Right now I'm in a "I'm knitting for me" mood, after working like crazy for a month and a half on Jonathan's Afghan. He wants me to make him a remote control holder, but I told him he has to wait. Fortunately he understands, and told me after giving him the blanket that he didn't want me knitting anything else for him until I finish some stuff for me. Of course, I wouldn't accept compensation from him for making something because he does a lot for me as it is. But I think for other people, unless it's a gift, don't ask unless you're willing to offer up some sort of compensation.

Speaking of the remote control holder, I have a few ideas on how to make it, but I just haven't started yet. Once I finish it I may post the pattern up on my site for others to make as well. I'm thinking this should be an easy-peasy project.

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Dani
  • From San Francisco
email me

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates