« Home | Bargain alert! I just picked up a Magicord Ma... » | I'm a little perturbed at Blogger this morning. T... » | More than a week off from work, and what do I have... » | Hope you had a Merry Christmas! I'm thankful to b... » | We just had a 6.5 earthquake out here in Californi... » | I've signed up for the Great Stash Reduction Proje... » | Check out the first picture on this page. Notice ... » | Alright, I need to get cracking. I've got to make... » | Hey, I just wanted to pop in with a quick post to ... » | Marnie asked, in yesterday's comments, about using... » 

Friday, January 09, 2004 

I finally decided on and purchased a digital camera. After much deliberation, I ended up going with the Canon PowerShot G5. Considering the G5 is now just slightly more expensive than the G3, coupled with the fact that I prefer the black body, and the 5 megapixels will allow me more flexibility in being able to crop (which I could definitely use), it seemed like a good option to go with the G5. I purchased it from Ebay, paying only $499, plus $35 (!!) for shipping and insurance. Now I just have to wait for it to come in.

I also took a little venture over to Overstock.com to look for some books on digital photography, and photography in general. I decided that if I purchased this camera that I would teach myself photography. Well, to my surprise, there were a bunch of books marked at $0.99, that were normally a lot more. I started loading up my shopping cart, but after a short while started finding that the prices of some of the books started coming up. So, I selected about 8 books and purchased them as quickly as I could (while they were still $0.99). What I ended up with was 4 knitting books, 3 books on photography, and one book on cruises. The 4 knitting books I snagged were Felted Knits (which Overstock normally lists at $12.69, and Amazon currently lists for $15.37), Simple Knits for Little Cherubs (Overstock normally lists it at $11.49, Amazon at $13.97), Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Overstock's normal price is $11.49, Amazon's is $13.97), and Knitting School (Overstock's price is $14.39, Amazon's is $17.47). I figure if I decide I don't like any of the books (besides Felted Knits, which I already know I like), I can put them in the GSRP box, and hopefully someone else will.

The three photography books I bought (Photography for Dummies, Digital Photography All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies, and Shoot Like a Pro! Digital Photography Techniques) should be at least a good start. Plus, Jonathan knows a lot about photography, so I can ask him for help too. And it will give us something else to share and enjoy together.

Jonathan put in his interest card for Police Officer yesterday. Within a few hours he had been called into the office of the Personnel Sergeant. They had already seen his interest card and were very interested in seeing him move up from Community Service Assistant to Officer, and they want him to get started ASAP. Originally we were thinking he would be going to the academy in July. After his discussion with the Sergeant yesterday, he may be going as soon as March instead. I'm totally excited for him. I think this is going to be a great move for him. Though, I must admit, it's going to be tough over the next year as he's in the academy and going through field training. Time may become tighter, as if it weren't tight enough (we only see each other about once a week). But, I figure he and I have survived over 6 years together, so another year shouldn't be so big a deal. Plus, it means it will all be done with sooner than I had anticipated, which means we'll likely be able to go on our Mexican Riviera cruise sooner than I had thought!

Other than all of that, I've been busy with the start of the tax season. My first night at H&R Block as a preparer was Wednesday evening. Right now we really don't have many clients coming in, so I'm working on case studies. But, in a few weeks (end of January, beginning of February) things will blow up. That's when we hit our first peak. Everyone (well, just about) who is expecting a refund comes running into the office after they've received their W-2's, 1099's, and other documents, because they all want their money yesterday. In the meantime, I'll enjoy practicing with the case studies. Everyone so far has been really thrilled to see I became a preparer. I'm glad I chose to return to that office, instead of working at the one near my house, because I feel like I've got a good support system already in place. That's something most new preparers don't have.

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Dani
  • From San Francisco
email me

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates