« Home | More than a week off from work, and what do I have... » | Hope you had a Merry Christmas! I'm thankful to b... » | We just had a 6.5 earthquake out here in Californi... » | I've signed up for the Great Stash Reduction Proje... » | Check out the first picture on this page. Notice ... » | Alright, I need to get cracking. I've got to make... » | Hey, I just wanted to pop in with a quick post to ... » | Marnie asked, in yesterday's comments, about using... » | I'm going shopping today to buy a backup outfit fo... » | Gah! Only a week to go until I leave for New York... » 

Monday, January 05, 2004 

I'm a little perturbed at Blogger this morning. To my knowledge, Blogger claims to not share your personal information with anyone. However, this morning I received a piece of spam (the kind where someone from Zimbabwe is trying to funnel money to you to "protect," and promising you'll get a cut).

SBC (my ISP) has a feature where you can create disposable email addresses when you register at websites (or give your email address out). This allows you not only to track where spam is coming from (i.e. who is selling your email address) but to also delete the address that's being spammed without affecting your primary email address. To do this, you create a user name. Then you create any number of disposable accounts that are formed as UserName-lettersandnumbers@yahoo.com. The portion behind the dash can be anything you want it to be. So, when I made one for Blogger, and changed my registered email address, I changed it to UserName-blogger@yahoo.com.

Less than one week later I have already received a piece of spam to that email address. While the temptation is to send Pyra (the company that controls Blogger) a nasty email myself, I'm going to wait and see what else pours in first. It really bothers me that it wasn't just an email offering to "increase my penis size" or help me "earn my college degree." This was one of those very dangerous emails that so many people have (stupidly) been duped into believing, costing them their entire bank accounts. How in the world did they get my email address through Blogger?

Needless to say, it really annoys the piss out of me. Maybe it's just a fluke...but I guess we'll soon find out.

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Dani
  • From San Francisco
email me

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates